Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy Halloween

Well, we did it.  Another holiday down.  As obscure as Halloween is, I love it!  It is the only time in your life that you get to pretend to be someone that you aren't (Within reason of course).  The kids and I carved pumpkins, and roasted pumpkin seeds.  I was crazy tired and had been dealing with a sick little Averie, so I told the kids that if they wanted to carve pumpkins, that they had to actually do the work themselves.  You see in past years, I clean out a pile of pumpkins, and then within minutes they have lost interest and I am left to carve four pumpkins by myself.  I usually end up spending the midnight hours cursing like a sailor (in my mind of course, and usually made-up words, but still) and sawing away at the stupid pumpkins.

So, I cut off the tops, and let them go to it.  Even Averie did her own pumpkin!  Holy cow, I have babied them all these years.  Those little suckers played me.  They even separated the seeds from the pulp so that we could have some delicious roasted pumpkin seeds.

I wish I would have had a recorder going through all of this, because it was quite funny.  Averie kept saying, "This is hopeless!"  Where does she even get stuff like that.  Ashton, I pretty sure was saying some words that he knew his mama didn't want him saying, but somehow he got away with it.  And Ethan, just quietly went to work.  It was a great night.

We ended up at my Bro and Sister-in-laws for dinner before trick-or-treating, and guess who was the only adult dressed up???  You got it.  Seriously.  What's with you grown-ups?  You too good for acting like a kid?  Well, you really missed out!

Here are some pics from our great adventures.

Ethan hard at work.  Ashton showing us who's boss.  Averie, proud as can be.  Me, all concentration.

Just before the lighting ceremony.  You can cast your vote now.

Top l. Ethan as the Reaper, Ashton as Ironman, Bottom l. Averie as stuff she found in the dress-up box, and Ethan sans mask.

Who am I you ask?  Well, I have no idea.  I just grabbed some stuff and put it on.

Didn't they do such a great job? (top l. Me, Ave, bottom l. Ethan, Ash)

5 comments:

  1. It was SOOO Fun to see you!!!!!! I love the pumpkins :) I am a little sad that Averie didn't remember who I was :( I think we need to fix that for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did i miss this one? i am not used to you updating so often. :)

    looks like a really fun evening. i am not a lover of halloween, but you will be proud... i DID dress up. well, kinda. i wore the same spider hat and silly plastic black framed glasses without lenses. :) hahaha.

    anyhow, cool pumpkins. you are brave to let them cut their own. i did all of the knife handling on our pumpkin. someday i will let aaron jr use the knife.

    anyhow, glad you had a good time. hope your little one is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodie! I'm glad you found my blog....and now I found yours! Thanks for commenting. btw, your kids are adorable and are good sports in Primary when I have weirdo singingtime ideas! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i thought you were going to do the november daily gratefuls (not a word) :)...

    decide not to? :)

    it was good to see you today. thanks for calling and stopping by. let's get together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiffany Bangles in admirable silver, for broken ears. Original designs copyrighted by Elsa Peretti. The Elsa Peretti annular earrings represent the agent of all things. The band of the annular earrings is smooth. The Tiffany Elsa Pretty annular earrings attending actual beautiful and affected on my ears.

    ReplyDelete