Wednesday, November 3, 2010

#3-Friendly Friends

Today I am thankful for great friends.  How would I have ever made it this far without the wonderful support system that I have.  I am grateful for good examples of patience, kindness, service, motherhood, and humor in my life.

I grew up a very shy, introverted child.  I was literally afraid of everyone.  I had a hard time making friends, and so the ones that I ended up with weren't necessarily the best of the best.  Now there were a few choice gals that are still my friends today, but it wasn't until I started working and was forced out of my shell that I really made some great friends.

When I met my handsome husband, I unintentionally put most of my friends on the back burner.  It wasn't that I didn't like them, but my husband quickly became my best friend, and I didn't feel like I needed or had time for anyone else.  In the last few years of our marriage, we both realized the importance of wonderful friends.  We actually morned the loss of friendships that we had let go by the wayside.  Those last few years, we worked on reviving and making new friendships whenever possible.

I was fortunate enough to be introduced to one of my dearest friends through our then first grader sons.  It was the first time in my adult life that I had someone other than John and my sweet mother to talk to, and I valued that friendship so much.  John even commented several times that he was grateful that I had such a wonderful friend.  He too made some amazing friends, of course that was always easy for him.  He was constantly doing the handshake/hug in the grocery store, or at the gas station.  I swear he knew everyone.

Then suddenly I realized that I was surrounded by a group of amazing women, who were both friends and teachers to me. I kid you not when I say I was surrounded.  The day that John died, a group of about 10 gals were at my house, cleaning, doing laundry, washing windows, stocking cupboards, and just comforting me.  In the weeks and months to come, they didn't stop.  They harvested my garden, and canned for me.  They picked up homework, and even sat with the boys to catch them up.  They cooked.  They bought nice things.  They cried, and hugged and prayed.  I am being truly honest when I say, "I couldn't have survived this without them."

Thank you to my sweet friends, both old and new.  I know that we were meant to be a part of each others lives, and I am sure grateful that you are a part of mine.

5 comments:

  1. i am grateful for friends as well.
    i am grateful for YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, I don't know if you even remember me...I'm Peggy Jackson's daughter Beckey...anyway, I'm sure you are going to think I am a huge blog stalker...and honestly I don't even know or remember how I even came across your blog. BUT, I did want to leave you a comment and let you know that your blog is so inspiring. Reading your words makes me more grateful for my family. Your husband sounds like he was an amazing person. I remember when my mom told me about the accident I shed a few tears for you and your kids. I felt silly crying because I never really knew you but I thought about how hard that must be. I wish you the best and I'm thankful for you that you have some great friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beckey, It's so great to hear from you. I am glad you found me, and I would never consider you a stalker.

    My mom and I were just talking about you the other day...how's that for stalking. I get to have an update every now and then. I hope everything is going good with you and your family. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope I'm considered one of your friends!!! If not I'm totally going to stalk you until I am. I sure love you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bless my life so much just by being who you are. I am truly grateful that you are my friend. I love you.

    ReplyDelete